Thursday, December 3, 2009

‘Tis so Sweet-What happens when it’s not so sweet?

Growing up in a Baptist church I sang a lot of hymns. Many have become a backbone in my worship and faith journey. I’ve always sang that it is so sweet to trust in Jesus and just take Him at his word…but I’m finding at times that it is easier said than done. What happens when it’s no longer sweet to trust in Jesus?

I’ve been going through some pretty significant transitions recently- I’ll be honest. Its been difficult. In my own struggle to search for God’s hand to hear His voice, I’m left with silence-beautiful silence that is surrounded by incredible views of the cascades, time spent with family, and reading books that have collected dust in my library-but nonetheless, silence. I continually come back to the question of:

God, where are you?

So I go back to the basics. Trust. What does that look like? I’m learning that Trust means not just leaning on the Lord as a Savior but as a provider. Trust means waiting, searching, reading, praying and reaching out when the pride inside of me says “don’t say a word.” I’ll admit, there are days when I don’t want to approach the throne of God. I’m tired and discouraged, the last thing I want to do is admit that to a higher being. But that is exactly it. When I cast my discouraged heart at God’s throne, and admit that I am completely at God’s mercy, I learn to really trust.

I speak for myself when I suppose that when we as Christians face struggles in our lives, our first response is to look at our Creator and say, “Do you see what you’re doing to me? Don’t you care?” And we question whether God really does have much influence in our lives. But then I’m directed back to 1 Peter 1:6-7:

“In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.”

I may not have a word from God at this moment, or the knowledge of what exactly my near future entails, but I am once again learning to trust Him when I am completely vulnerable. The sweetness and goodness of Trusting in the Lord comes for the assurance that He is using life challenges to bring me closer to Him. I can rest assured in Gods promise to refine me and experience a joy within the struggle. I am too quick to forget the many times the Lord has provided in my life, why would I question His faithfulness now? Tis so sweet.

1 comment:

grantkinman said...

Can I write in English?

I would say in the words of a famous and revolutionary man, "well done good and faithful servant."

Keep your head up high, God's up there watching. Keep lookin' up to him.

Love ya bro