Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Playing Tourist






Well, its been two weeks since I made my journey to the city of mountains. The first week of classes went really well. I am enjoying my subjects, Int'l Negotiations, Int'l Marketing, Mexican Studies, Communications, and salsa. I've found them a bit easier than classes back in the U.S., we'll see if that continues. This weekend I played tourist, it was both a fun and educational experience. I went to the Marco Museo de Arte Contemporaneo de Monterrey, the building in red with the sculpture outside. I saw two amazing exhibits featuring Thomas Sanchez, a famous Mexican painter who has painted some controversial works in response to global contamination and protecting the environment. The other exhibit was in appreciation of the TEN architects, a firm that is in a league of their own for contemporary architecture. Being an architecture junky myself, I found this exhibit fascinating as well. From everything from blueprints, to exploding waterfalls, this museum had it all.
Some friends and I also went out for lunch and dinner in the downtown district. This area is wall to wall with cafes and restaurants for every budget. We found a great Greek Restaurant one block from the museum, I love Greek food and my Greek olives were quite splendid, something I have missed. The picture infront of the statue was taken downtown, it was 105 degrees outside, a little hot for running around the city, nevertheless it was nice for the outdoor market. Downtown there is a market, although slightly tourist-tacky, we enjoyed window shopping and looking at the ridiculous things that tourists buy. I bought myself my first spanish book, 1984, by George Orwell which is definitely still American literature, but it was an impulse buy. I am very excited to read it, its a classic that I seem to have missed out on in my childhood- plus it was only $4. This is the Catholic Iglesia downtown, Monterrey. It has beautiful artwork inside, unfortunately there was a wedding going on at the time so I thought it rather tacky to be taking pictures.

On Sunday my buddy Orlando and I went to a local Baptist church a few miles away from the University. It was a small, quite conservative church yet the people were very kind to us and the pastor made sure that I understood his main points in the sermon by repeating them in English to me...que gringo! a bit embarrassing. Nevertheless it was nice to go out and meet with others, and then eat some amazing tacos! I have found my favorite type of taco: Barbacoa. I have yet to figure out what exactly makes barbacoa taste so good and what exactly it consists of, but its one of the most delicious things to ever grace this planet...similar to barbequed beef but in a spicy taco form. yum.

No comments: